Thursday, April 23, 2009

Martha Stewart's Memory Box

I love Martha Stewart
What isn't to love, she has focus, determination, and organization down to a science. Martha knows what she wants and has created her own corporation out of herself. I don't compare myself to Martha in any way. And I don't put anyone up against her standards. Bless Martha Stewart, she inspires us to actually do things to beautify, or organize our lives. If Martha wants to know how to do something she likes she gets an expert or one of her crew to demonstrate and explain things to her and us.

Sister-in-Law relates a Martha Stewart moment
Martha's segment was about creating a treasured memory box. Purchase a box or decorate a plain box. The purpose is to place items or story snippets with happy or pleasant memories inside. When you need a lift or want to stroll down happy memory lane, pull out the box and find a random item and read and take time to reflect. Use the box for inspiration.

Brother has his own version:
I have adopted brother's take on the box. We in the family call it The "Tortured memory jar". While I don't believe brother has an actual vessel, I do. As Sister-in-law and I e-correspond a frequent subject is an off-handed comment by my brother that she wants confirmation or elaboration of the story. Then we file it in brother's "Tortured memory jar". Giving the subject a symbolic burial. I imagine his as an overstuffed mayonnaise jar.

Dredge up the ghosts
Deciding to blog about my diet from last weeks re-commitment has spawned many of my own "tortured memories". I see this as necessary work for me, this self reflection and introspection. It is helping me understand why I lost control of my weight. The writing of this blog and planning future subjects has made the speed of the tortured memories pile up rapidly.

Emotional week
This past week has had me looking back and forward. Dredging up more tortured memories that I had filed away and chose to forget - if only for awhile. I have had a few LOL moments, and many a tear this past week. I placed many of my tortured memories on square of colorful origami paper. They are there waiting for me to fold them into a crane, frog, or some other origami shape I've yet to learn. They are waiting for their ritual burial.

Thank you Martha Stewart!
You have given me a new tool. It may not be as you intended, its being used as its best purpose for this fan. Martha, you've given me a way to forgive myself, can you forgive me?

As today's inspiration would say "Its a good thing."

---
Today's Tarot Card:
Nine of cups: upright Triumph and success
A temporary state in this case. The past week has been a success for me. My results of diligence and sleight of mind tricks have worked. It may not always work, the new focus and thoughts have made their point to me. Success in new habits must continue to call it a triumph.

No comments:

Post a Comment